Any catering business will require someone with excellent cooking and management skills to run the operation. Most locations in the United States will not let anyone start a catering business from a home kitchen without modifications to meet codes. Many locations require an institutional kitchen be established in a separate area, such as a garage or basement, with a separate entrance. Health permits will need to be obtained from local, county and/or state health departments. For health code purposes, most locales consider a catering operation a restaurant.
Whatever the type of catering operation started, it will require:
- a consistent high quality product,
- labor to prepare and deliver meals,
- skill and expertise to manage and run a food preparation kitchen,
- a sales effort to find the accounts, and
- someone to do the ongoing marketing.